Lead

Jan 13 08 9:02 PM

Tags : :

In the book, it states that it's useful to have a visual aid for combat. My question is, does anybody have a good conversion system to use? I tried 1 yard = 1/4 cm, but that still seems pretty big (laser's M range would be 50 cm, or about 1.4 feet). I don't want to lower it too much, either, as then flamethrowers would be kind of pointless.
Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Jan 13 08 9:17 PM

We had a Mecha battle just yesterday using my WizKids Mechwarrior figures and having 5 cm ~ roughly 10 yards, but I could remember it wrong.
We played on the table with food/drinks/papers as obstacles, buildings and lakes. Thus the range of the weapons really didnt matter much.

A cool thing I use for online play is gametable: http://gametable.galactanet.com/

In case you all got laptops, that's an option too ;P

www.rpg.beren.net - RPG and CTech stuff! Feel free to link
www.beren.net - digital design
www.namator.com - generate names for your characters
www.bio.beren.net - annihilate all life on earth

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 13 08 10:13 PM

I think the suggestion in the book was for 10 yard squares on a grid, when engaging in mecha scale combat. Most grids are 1 inch squares.

Regardless, in mecha scale combat you never need to know the size of something smaller than 5 yards. The shortest range increment is 5 yards... so I'd have 5 yards be basically equivalent to adjacent. I wouldn't try and create a system with sufficient granularity to represent 1 yard.

Given that, I'd just ad hoc 1 yard = 1 meter, and then say that 1 meter = 1 centimeter. This still gives a pretty long range for many things... a laser cannon will be able to hit a target at up to 300 cm away. You probably won't have a 10 foot long table... but engaging a target at that distance isn't really combat anyway, it's more like sniping.

I think that for medium distance, 40 cm isn't that bad.

If you want to play with smaller distances, I would reduce the granularity of everything 10m, and round all range increments up to the nearest 10. This requires changing only 4 stats, actually.

In a model with min distance = 10m, the longest scaled distance anything could be engaged at would be 150 cm, or 5 ft.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 14 08 4:56 AM

Actually, after furthe playtesting today, my idea for 1yd:.25cm ratio seems to work okay there was a good mix of movement, shooting and CC (which didn't end well for either side...though it was hilarious ). I think I'l stick with that for now, at least for Mecha combat. Will probably need to change it for on foot.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 14 08 7:43 AM

I found that very small: e.g. a gladius has a movement of 27 ypt when moving cautiously, which would make him move around the gaming table at 27 cm/ turn if I'm not mistaken.
A migou dragon fly would end up with 444 cm max./turn.

But I guess there's no real fitting scale for mech combat since they're either very fast or very precise. Plus there's ground troups sometimes so you can't use a very small scale.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 14 08 8:57 AM

I missed the point, since we're using a colon here. ,25 instead of .25. My wrong, makes much more sense now!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help