Lead

Apr 18 12 3:25 AM

Tags : :

Here is obviously where the OOC talking will go, the stuff that doesn't directly pertain to the gameplay but instead for us keeping in touch, letting each other know what's going on, things like that

have at it lads
Quote    Reply   

sunphoenix

The Crawling Chaos

#1 [url]

Apr 19 12 2:49 AM

Eudorus wrote:
We have an authority mismatch here. The trainee agent and the SAIC both have authority 2. The experienced full-time professional sorceress has authority 1 and the sociopath has no authority at all... I think that's going to result in a confused chain of command.

Good point but it probably should be discussed here.

I don't really have any leeway with Chani's skills to shift points around to give her Authority 2. Not and feel she's competant and well-rounded as an educated OIS Sorcerer should be.

Just as a rule of thumb I set her skills at the equivalent of a special Services Operative {See Damnation view, p. 88}. Chani is qualified to be recruited by Special Services - only lacking the Asset Special Services Sorcerer [4point] Asset.

All my cheats went to spell rituals... which I'll not likely get the chance to learn any new spells/rituals considering how long it takes in game time...

Kamielle Lynn - Right on the Sharp End & Shadows of Munich
Athen Devereau - Stars End
Sabrina Cheyenne 'Chani' Fairchilde - OIS Shades of Grey
Darrin - Horrors of the Old World: OGRE
Kamui Tokada - Children of the Burn

"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind if free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him."

Quote    Reply   

Eudorus

#2 [url]

Apr 19 12 2:54 AM

I feel that authority 1 is quite sufficient considering that while you may have broad discretion and may seem to the general public to act with impunity in reality you're actually pretty much at the bottom of a bureaucracy driven organisation.

For my own part I consider authority 3 to be excessive for a character who represents pretty well the first or second level of supervisory oversight for this entity.

Quote    Reply   

TweakedZoner

The Crawling Chaos

#3 [url]

Apr 19 12 3:09 AM

When originally created that was the authority defined. I can bring it down if thats whats agreed upon.

“Cause it’s gonna be the future soon
And I won’t always be this way
When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away”
-The Future Soon, by Jonathan Coulton

Quote    Reply   

sunphoenix

The Crawling Chaos

#4 [url]

Apr 19 12 3:19 AM

Well... I hate coming back to this but the examples show different in the books.

Vade Macum, p.140 - Office of Internal Security Para-psychic: Fiona Bell = Ally/2 (OIS), Authority/3 (Federal Agent)

Vade Macum, p.138 - GhOST Team Sorceress: Feyany = Ally/2 (GIA), Authority/3 (Federal Agent)

Vade Macum, p.139 - Global Intelligence Agency Agent: Alicia Barkley = Ally/2 (GIA), Authority/3 (Federal Agent)

STech Core, p. 260 - Sorserer (OIS): Hitomi Ichikawa = Ally/3 (OIS), Authority/3 (Senior OIS Officer)

...hummm all women. Is there a hidden point here? {Just kidding! }

But I brought it up with Daev... if we should simple be given Ally/3 (OIS), Authority/ 1-3 'depending on character' instead of making us pay for the assets. As its the entire plot of the game is we are OIS Operatives... why should we have to buy it?

"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind if free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him."

Quote    Reply   

Eudorus

#5 [url]

Apr 19 12 3:32 AM

I think the authority asset is situational. We're all OIS agents so we've got that positional authority. However the authority asset defines our position within the organisation. If we were different people from different entities it could be used to determine who has the most pull in an inter-departmental pissing contest.

Quote    Reply   

Alexb83

The Crawling Chaos

#6 [url]

Apr 19 12 6:41 AM

sunphoenix wrote:

But I brought it up with Daev... if we should simple be given Ally/3 (OIS), Authority/ 1-3 'depending on character' instead of making us pay for the assets. As its the entire plot of the game is we are OIS Operatives... why should we have to buy it?

Sun, you'll forgive me but I'm struggling to reconcile the above with;

sunphoenix wrote:

It is a unfortunate and slippery slope to begin giving exceptions and liberties to the rules as printed to various characters because "It just makes since". Where does it stop?

Ultimately like anything the story guide has to rule on this; the professions in the book are, as the devs have always said, guidelines on what people in certain professions should be expected to have. That being said, it states 'required qualities' as Authority (3) for a federal agent, so read into that what you will.

I took misfit (3) with my Zoner, but really, am I obliged to? the only thing the Zoner asset requires is either watched (3) or hunted (4) depending on registration status. Nonetheless it makes sense that anyone wearing the 'red armband' is a misfit, so she has it.

Tweaked's character had authority 1 as I recall because that's what I established as the level required for trainee agents and low level operatives in OIS Underground, and I wanted to establish a level of differentiation between professional agents and rookies.

I didn't give Annie any authority because, well, do you seriously think anyone would let someone like that have a badge?

A far more sensible system surely would be for folks to take law enforcement as a skill to represent their experience, and to have badges/armbands that when used/worn confer the asset/misfit qualities. That makes them situational, and it means that when you aren't wearing the armband, or waving your OIS warrant card around, people can disbelieve or be ignorant to your status.

It's all up to the story guide to structure the world as they see fit; as long as we're internally consistent I see no issues.

Quote    Reply   

Alexb83

The Crawling Chaos

#7 [url]

Apr 19 12 8:09 AM

Just picking up on a few things;

Eudorus, you seem to have Persuasion (3) listed twice, and no regional knowledge (which is free!). Does Carla not speak English?

Sun, Call the Soul's Beast is a 3rd order spell, unobtainable by cheats as a starting character and requiring 50xp to purchase, it also requires master level occult to learn. It confers 2 insanity points on failure rather than the 1 you seem to have listed.
Where does the 'Congregation Medium (2)' asset come from?

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 19 12 3:39 PM

the IC thread is up, for those who've been approved for play

nothing too special at the moment, just a meet and greet for now until everyone is ready and entered play. Those who've been approved are welcome to enter and introduce themselves, remember working with some of the other's present, or sit there patiently, its up for you ladies and gentlemen.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 19 12 7:09 PM

Isaac doesn't seem to be responding so I'll post my character first for now. Just give me time to double check her. While we're on the topic, what authority should a pilot have ?

Also, is there anyone that already wants most of the NPCs dead ?

Garuda, are you getting this ? It's not over yet !

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Apr 19 12 10:10 PM

Understood.

I hope they'll turn out as interesting as you promise, because from my experience there's no better way to make players dislike an NPC if their introduction is either: a) first guy you meet in the campaign has this mysterious scary aura around him and your team of supposedly badass characters already know that they shouldn't mess with him, or b) characters choosing to have either A or B ? well this character has both.

I guess how they interact with our character will shape whether we like them or not so it's all to be seen, so I'm just saying if you don't mind.

Quote    Reply   

Eudorus

#13 [url]

Apr 20 12 3:48 AM

Okay fine.
I had two entries for persuasion.
I traded in my second persuasion slot for an extra point of english and two extra points of authority.
Problem solved.

Quote    Reply   

TweakedZoner

The Crawling Chaos

#14 [url]

Apr 20 12 6:52 AM

Ill have something up tomorrow as I'm on my phone and reading walls of text hurts ;)

“Cause it’s gonna be the future soon
And I won’t always be this way
When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away”
-The Future Soon, by Jonathan Coulton

Quote    Reply   

sunphoenix

The Crawling Chaos

#15 [url]

Apr 20 12 9:28 AM

@TZ: LOL.. Sorry fella my first post on a new character is usually pretty long!

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 20 12 5:02 PM

For now I'll leave the story for your approval Daeva. I tried to keep it short:

Born and raised in the old country of Wales Aderyn is a young woman struggling with protecting her marriage from her workacholism, her psychic son from the more and more aggressively recruiting government, her partner from the claws of various monstrosities and her own sanity from her everyday work and the horrors of the Aeon War.

Once a dreamer, she grew in love with various fantasy books and creatures: elves and dragons were closer to her than her peers from the slums. She lived through her teenage years in bliss and ignorance, trusting her parents to worry about the worldy needs while she just needs finish school. The wake up call came soon after 17 birthday in the form of an EOD raid on her city, which she and her family miraculously escaped thanks to her father's piloting skill.

Fearing for their safety, her family moved to North America and the first thing she did upon settling in was joining the army despite her parent's disapproval. At first it was hard for her on the grounds of being a unsociable nerd that never exercised before. Luckily her drill sergeant quickly shaped her up and discovered her above average reflex and marksman skills which quickly granted her transfer to the mechanized infantry where her talented but delicate frame gained the protection it needed. It was there where she met her future best friend, squad-mate and currently partner in OIS. It was also after one of the more brutal sorties she met a young and artistically inclined nurse that she would later marry and have a son with.

Currently Aderyn works for the OIS as a PA pilot with her old friend and is under a lot of stress due to various factors. First, she's cursing herself for not watching how her parents worked out their problems closer, as her current job is consuming more and more of her time while her stay-at-home husband grows more and more distant due to her constant absence which is slowly making her paranoid about his loyalty and love. Next, her 9 years son recently erupted with some rare future telling powers and the upper brass is putting a lot of pressure on her to let them recruit him while he's still young. They also started recruiting Zoners into OIS while it's her that has to witness with her own eyes what a Zoner in an out of control burn can do to an operation when he starts disabling friendly PAs and guns left and right, almost dying in that "accident". All the stress pilling up caused her to start going gray early and forced her to start dyeing her hair. To cope with all of this she decided to use her love for reading and switch from fantasy novels to self-help books for parents and spouses hoping she could learn some life saving tips and now her books literaly liter all her machines' cockpits.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 21 12 3:12 PM

Well I might as well post stats anyway(25xp spent), hope I didn't miss any important equipment:

Name: Aderyn Sokół
Callsign: Empress
Race: Human
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red (dyed, originally brown but now graying)
Personal logo: A red dragon drawn on her armor by her husband
Height: 173 cm
Weight: 68 kg

------------------------------------

Abilities:
Agility 8
Intellect 5
Perception 8
Presence 4
Strength 4
Tenacity 6

Secondary abilities:
Actions: 2
Speed: 13 mph
Orgone: 10
Reflex: 8
Vitality: 10
Drama points: 10

Skill:
Armorer 2
Demolitions 1
Education 1
Hobby 1 (Reading)
Law Enforcement 2
Medicine 2
Munitions 2
Observation 3
Occult 1
Pilot 2 (military A-Pod vehicles, civilian vehicles)
Savior-Faire 1
Security 1
Stealth 3
Streetwise 1
Surveillance 1
Survival 1
Technician 2

Armed skills:
Armed Fighting 3
Dodge 3 (PA)
Fighting 1
Marksman 3 (PA)
Support Weapons 1
Thrown Weapons 1

Qualities/Assets:
Alluring -1
Authority -3
Fast -2
Fearless -2
Wary -2

Qualities/Drawbacks:
Code +2 (a friend of my friend is my friend, I will never turn my back on a friend in need, I cannot fail in my service)
Duty +2
Fanatical +3 (her family)
Jealous +2 (her family)
Oath +1 (love only her family forever and ever)
Prejudice +2 (Zoners on the battlefield)

Equipment:
CS-40 Defender (personal sidearm with two additional magazines), MP15-9 smgs with collapsible stocks, silencers and laser sights (placed as emergency weapons in her mechs' cockpits with additional magazines of standard and special ammunition), composite combat knife, an emergency supply of frag, flash, concussion, and colored smoke grenades in her mechs, a black suit, Concealed Sentrytech Mk-V (for civilian clothing), Spectrashield Light armor (with her personal sign, for combat situations), PCPU with AR glasses and WCE, survival kits (in her mechs), 3 painkillers, emergency first aid kit with additional painkillers (in her mechs), electronic equipement (binoculars, thermal goggles and NV goggles in her mechs).

Quote    Reply   

Eudorus

#18 [url]

Apr 22 12 4:15 PM

Hmm. It looks like I should have read the source materiel a little more carefully. With Daeva's permission I'd like to go back and make some tweaks to Agent Shevardadzne.

Also, we're not far in to the RP but I really feel like the quality of postings is really high. Sunphoenix and Alexb83 in particular impressed me with their last posts.

Quote    Reply   

Alexb83

The Crawling Chaos

#19 [url]

Apr 22 12 4:45 PM

What issues do you have with Carla, Eudorus? I wouldn't change her too much as she seems to be the social glue that'll keep he unit cohesive.

We seem to have a good bit of variety in the group as it is - there are certainly enough ranks in social skills and alluring between the characters so far the only thing missing is a 'tech' expert.

Quote    Reply   

Eudorus

#20 [url]

Apr 22 12 4:54 PM

Oh I just don't know the framewerk system very well so my build is very inefficient. I've spent points in dodge for example that I'd be better off reassigning elsewhere and using my agility feat.
Also on re-reading the rules there seems to be an expectation that I'll spend points on contacts and allies for example and if I fail to do so then it's likely that my boss simply hates me.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help