Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jul 24 12 11:57 PM

I'll check it out. I know what you mean by posting it here sucks, but it does make me go through my writing and reread it for a final edit while italicizing everything.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jul 25 12 4:09 AM

Reformatting it wasn't as hard as I'd thought. I just ran it through MS Office 95 (I wish I knew where my copy of 2000 went). Did a little cleanup and feel that, for now, chapter one is complete (questions, suggestions, and constructive criticism welcomed). As for Adobe, I need the physical software sold at stores, with the legal licenses and registrations, and not the free online version. And I won't have the money for that until the first of August. That's cutting it close with just two months to get chapter two out. October sees the release of two games I've had pre-ordered for months (RE 6 and XCOM: Enemy Unknown). I'll be too busy shooting up zombies (they're back at last!) and freaks from the stars to work on DA until I work them out of my system.

Incidentally, the inspiration for the Antarctic Anti-Fungal Compound (AAFC) was directly inspired by the toxins in XCOM: Apocalypse. I didn't credit the game because, compared to the other inspirations, it's simply too minor to mention.

www.fraternityofshadows.com - My Other Haunt

Free Speech: You get what you pay for.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - H. P. Lovecraft

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Sep 27 12 2:16 AM

Okay, I've been playing WoW for five years and the weeks leading up to MoP were not happy ones (I really disliked quite a few of the changes) and after playing a monk for a scant two days I've come to the conclusion that this is officially the worst xpac ever. The biggest "change" in gameplay is just a blatant ripoff of Pokemon, literally! It couldn't even hold my attention for a lousy week until XCOM: Enemy Unknown is released. Oh well, one more lost subscription amongst 1.1 million others in Q2 of the 2012 Fiscal Year for Blizzard. More time to work on Dangerous Allies and wash that awful taste out of my mind.

Since it doesn't look like we'll be getting any canon rules for arcanowave tech I've just decided to start writing up my own rules that makes the shielding effect a static reduction of damage from energy-based attacks (the existing fluff is pretty clear about that much) before armor and other effects (like Heat Resistance) comes into play. I'm also expanding the weakness of Orgone Dependence so that it's literally a matter of life and death if the Leimadin are completely drained and remain so for too long (touching a Ruach Well, for existence).

As for weaponized arcanowave, the same energy that goes into a Hybrid blast is taken out of the same pool that reduces damage. So you get a choice: attack of defense. Figuring out the amount of points in the pool and a conversion rate is proving harder than thought. Since most energy weapons are Integrity-scale (lasers, plasma weapons, mecha flamethrowers, lightning guns) I've had to rule the shielding as Hybrid armor. That eliminates the need for conversions but it doesn't quite help in figuring out how many points of Shield translate into Blast damage. 1:1 is too generous (again, the existing fluff states the shielding gives arcanowave PA better armoring than comparably sized mecha, so the pools start at 20 for PA and increase by size: 30 Small, 40 Medium, 50 Large, etc.). Maybe a rate of 5:1 so every five points of Shield equals +1 to Damage (not dice, just the final tally)?

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - H. P. Lovecraft

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Sep 28 12 1:10 AM

Rampant wrote:
Does a flame thrower count as an energy weapon?

It's right there in the text. Mecha flamethrowers. This also applies to the canon -kinesis p-p powers since they all use forms of energy (including Cryokinesis). Some of the new Environmental powers introduced in DA, like Aerokinesis, Hydrokinesis, and Terrakinesis are matter-based so those won't count.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#26 [url]

Mar 28 13 12:41 AM

I must admit that I'm a little disappointed by the lack of comments (good or bad) on my work and the lack of many hits (55 as of this post, woefully low even for these forums). I know, it's just the first chapter and all fluff, but I was hoping my fellow CTechers had questions and/or suggestions. But that's just more time to work on chapter two, which is not going as easily as I'd hoped. Finding time to work on it is not easy, and the science behind some of the new technologies? I think I bit off more than I can chew faster than a little bit at a time. Particle physics, astronomy, materials science, there are so many things to learn and sort out, new ideas that require total re-writes, faulty logic that needs to be removed, it's hard to keep my head above the water of knowledge. Since writing whatever sounds good and not giving a flip about real, hard science is what Catalyst Labs does (and they ruined Shadowrun doing that, for which I will never forgive them) I'm going with FASA Corp's style of using actual, real science. And if you read SR3's Man & Machine supplement's intro, they'll make no bones about how hard that kind of thing is. Especially when dealing with highly theoretical sciences. Nanites do exist but nanoengineering is a very young discipline, astronomers can't agree on the nature of dark matter, and light (photons) is simultaneously waves and particles. Now throw in something as much metaphysics as physics as arcanotech and it's harder than it seems to keep things balanced between hard science and pseudo-science. Especially for diehard empiricists (myself included) who will nitpick everything to the point of becoming pariahs for daring question popular belief.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jun 12 13 2:50 AM

Here is the link in the official thread. And thank you for keeping the question here. That particular thread is strictly for links to existing material and future posts on ideas. :)

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 14 14 1:46 AM

I had planned on putting more work in Dangerous Allies but let's just say 2014 has been a banner bad year. Medical insurance, gone, had to sign up with bleeping Medicaid (image); my grandmother, whom was living with me and my family so we could care for, her died on her 79th birthday (image); and the illness I mentioned in the post I deleted so this could replace it just keeps getting better and better. I had a pre-cancerous growth removed from GI tract just a week ago. Needless to say that the work on DA was necessarily postponed due to health issues, death in the family, and now dodging a second bullet (a gall stone five years ago turns out not to have been life-threatening, it just hurt so much I wanted to die). It looks like my doctors were right; I may not live to see 40 and I turn 33 on Dec. 1. Kids, take my mistakes as an object lesson: drugs can destroy your life long after getting clean, particularly amphetamines (speed). So don't start.

After breaking down and buying COC 6e, including Dreamlands, as well as some reviews of the fluff so far and reimaginings, I've begun to rewrite large parts of the fiction and flavor text. Not to mention rethinking most of what was written regarding Terran vs. Interstellar factions and just quitting on attempting to balance Leimadin tech with NEG and Migou tech. This is a race that is supposed to outclass both in terms of technology by a terrifying degree. Of course, all the edges they possess don't mean squat without sufficient numbers to go on the offensive. An ongoing issue that plays heavily into most all they do.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help