Necrosizx

Initiate of the Society

Lead

Mar 12 10 1:47 PM

Tags : :

Well, simply, i cant put up enough of an effective fight for my players, who are currrently pitted against the Forces of the Rapine Storm, and i find that nearly everything i send at them, they annhilate.

as an example: a broadsword a storm, and a blizzard (piloted by mjr "black widow" klanady, a pilot from the core book)

land on a beachehead, and are opened up on by two RPG positions.....
they beat them in ititiative, and proceed to butcher the areas.

they go own to kill 12 grave things, taking les than 6 points of cosmetic damage, and then go on to murder 4 shantaks, and a Bhole!
(with no damage taken for any of it)
after a few more missile postions reveal themselves and are subsequently purged, the characters move onto the next Zone.
they are confronted with a stolen Vreta main battle tank, and a few additional rocket enplacements.

needles to say, these too are destroyed with no damage taken.
then i got a bit perturbed, so i sent in another 2 Vretas, and two Werewolves, plus 8 shabus morgo!
the morgo got a swing in at the blizzard dealing 10 cosmetic dmg between them all!
and the Vretas plus the werewolves bring the broadsword down to critical, until the blizzard and storm tear them to shreds!!!

Now, while that was our first game, i didnt really find that the RS forces did anything, bar be meat shields for stolen NEG units.

are the RS forces underpowered??
wat should i do for the next game?
keeping in mind the final fight is three mad Engles!

"In Nightmares Breeding, In Darkness feeding"

Quote    Reply   

Mike V

#1 [url]

Mar 12 10 7:53 PM

If they're taking on the storm throw a large swath of reaver like deformed humans and creatures at the mechs and arm them with hybrid weapons. They only have so many actions, you're bound to get allot more hits in.

Major Richard Winters: "Captain Sobel, you salute the rank, not the man."

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 12 10 9:20 PM

Yeah, throwing large numbers of squishy vitality guys with RPGs, camouflage and MANPADs at them can really ruin their day. Plus, the Rapine Storm has weird magic at their disposal, including horrible dream-eating things, mind-control, weather magic, gremlin magic that makes NEG machines grind to a halt, and other nastiness. Don't make it a set-piece battle with tidy lines of confrontation; make them sweat, throw them into canyons, steamy swamps, high-altitude frost-bitten wastelands where their gears freeze up and their sensors get unexplained glitches. Too many false positives can make a man very paranoid or very careless. Let them win easy at first, then wear them down.

Quote    Reply   

Mike V

#3 [url]

Mar 12 10 9:40 PM

Mechanurgist wrote:
Yeah, throwing large numbers of squishy vitality guys with RPGs, camouflage and MANPADs at them can really ruin their day. Plus, the Rapine Storm has weird magic at their disposal, including horrible dream-eating things, mind-control, weather magic, gremlin magic that makes NEG machines grind to a halt, and other nastiness. Don't make it a set-piece battle with tidy lines of confrontation; make them sweat, throw them into canyons, steamy swamps, high-altitude frost-bitten wastelands where their gears freeze up and their sensors get unexplained glitches. Too many false positives can make a man very paranoid or very careless. Let them win easy at first, then wear them down.

This too.

Major Richard Winters: "Captain Sobel, you salute the rank, not the man."

Quote    Reply   

TweakedZoner

The Crawling Chaos

#4 [url]

Mar 12 10 9:49 PM

This almost adds to my sanity point count lol.

“Cause it’s gonna be the future soon
And I won’t always be this way
When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away”
-The Future Soon, by Jonathan Coulton

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 13 10 5:25 AM

Mechanurgist wrote:

Don't forget a city fight is anyones worst nightmare when they are in a vehicle. WAY to many firing lines to watch and places for the bastards to come out of.

Psychotic cultists throwing themselves off the top of buildings onto Broadswords only to detonate the hybrid damage explosives they planted/are wearing...yea, that's bad.

The biggest advantage mecha have over monsters is range. A cramped city takes that away. I can't imagine anything scarier then for a mecha pilot to be moving with his squad through a city, listening to his buddies get picked off one at a time through the radio while he desperately searches for a way to help them...

Quote    Reply   

Necrosizx

Initiate of the Society

#6 [url]

Mar 14 10 5:23 PM

i like this too!
main problem is my players have NO qualms about going..."FLIGHT"
and just flying into the air to pick off whatever ive thrown at em...hence the original shantak assualt

i'd nearly need to put them into a situation where they cudnt fly, and its hard to do that beyond sayin; "no, you cant fly, infact the reason your mecha cant fly in this area is because...er....large AA guns are dotted around the city""
just seems kinda...crappy?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 14 10 9:17 PM

You're right, it does. So actually put large AA guns and SAMs around the city (2 mile range heavy charge beams for instance.) And they can recieve a learning experience.

Quote    Reply   

FunySkywalker

Initiate of the Society

#8 [url]

Mar 14 10 11:16 PM

Flight put you in sight of too many people in around distance, and it can be very bad. Make you easier to catch in the radars.

"May the Pichurrina be with you, allways!"

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 15 10 9:45 AM

"Given the nature of the storms "normal actions and activity" we shouldn't have to worry about bugs as long as we keep close to the ground. Flight ceiling of 100M for this operation."

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 15 10 12:21 PM

I'm snagging these ideas as my campaign is fast becoming a mech-central campaign...

I know this is going a little-off topic, but I wanted to start it as street-level with PAs, but some people wanna be Engel Pilots and I cant see how they'd fit in an Arcology.
I dont have the book with the Nephilim and later I will be introducing battles against the large mecha anyways, leaving the Nephilim players useless.
I could say to the players they all start as PA pilots and later a chosen few who'd rather an Engel than a Mech has the ESI operation, but I find that sucky and I'm sure I'll get complaints of "When do I get my Engel?"

Any help?

Quote    Reply   

Necrosizx

Initiate of the Society

#11 [url]

Mar 15 10 9:56 PM

again, excellent stuff, exactly what i was looking for

zero, have you explained to you players the nature of your setting?
i mean, im sure if you explained to them all that its more than abit stressful for you to try and set up a campaign covering engels mecha and nephilim players.
im sure theyll understand!
how many players have you got?

oh and if anyone wants to know how the next session goes, im gonna post it here, in a week!
thanks again!

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Mar 16 10 10:18 AM

Don't forget also that firing at things smaller than you are imposes a penalty - Power Armour counts as Tiny, so it's your call whether a mech's Integrity scale weaponry can even target person-sized stuff. If you say that it can, at least make sure that it's at an even harsher penalty than targeting Tiny things.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 17 10 1:08 PM

Hm, there will be some Vitality scale battles, but the main crux of the action, rather than the talky plot bits will be smashing Integrity beasts and mechs up.

Anyways, as only one player could feasibly have been an Engel pilot to begin, I've got everyone as Mech pilots, then if everyone uses their xp to get the relevant stuff (The Tenacity high enough basically) then they have the option to get an ESI and their own Engel (like a level-up from their original class).

Everyones happy with that idea anyways. I did want to go down an NGE pastiche for my campaign but I wanted some light Arcology stuff first, so PA battles in amongst Vitality stuff really fits in, until theyre called off to battle EOD Mecha in a more wide-scale battle and its off from there

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 29 10 11:49 PM

Another idea: Bump the RS pilots' stats. You are using a veteran character from the book, who I believe has better-than-stock stats, on the players' side, there is more than enough reason to have RS "aces" that have seen just as much action as the Major. I don't have the books on me atm, but throwing a few Claymores with pilots that have 8 or 9 in Agility and/or Perception and Expert/Master combat skills is not going to be a pushover. If you want to really teach them a lesson, add specializations in Mech Combat to the skills. Rolling up to 7 dice for attacks and dodge will humble the players real quick.

Also, suprise attacks are your friend. make up a couple "ghost squads" that have high Stealth and RPGs. If the players don't pick them up on their scanners, POW! no roll for defense. Add to that the ability to aim for added accuracy (and thus more damage dice on a hit) and targeting vulnerable areas ( kneecaps and weapon racks come to mind, again for added damage dice), and your players are in for a hard day's work.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Apr 9 10 11:01 PM

one important question.......how much fun were your players having? If they were bored then I could understand the complaint, but if they were having fun then why not right?

ALso I'm assuming this is your first RP session with this group. Giving a bunch of newbs a NPC ally like the Black Widow was just asking for trouble. kill her off (or if you just can't bear the thought of all that Nazzadi hotness getting shot down demote her to a weaker mech), or replace her with a weaker npc that'll be a liability but has the potential to become a real asset to the PCs

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help