CthuluTech - 1001 Adventure Ideas
1. Recently uncovered Vatican records suggest that the Catholic Church covered up Mythos activity, blaming it on witches. These records include the whereabouts of confiscated artifacts; are they merely historical curiosities, or actual items of power? Does the Vatican know more than they've been letting on?
2. A transmission appears to have been sent from Ganymede, containing only one word: "Yog-Sothoth." Migou orbital activities are suddenly frenzied and erratic. This may be an opportunity to push against the bugs, but the cultists are ecstatic. What's really going on around Jupiter?
3. The Migou are trying to use para-psychics to step up their espionage efforts against NEG scientists. People working on the Engel Project have had their minds probed repeatedly, both at home and at work. Do the Migou have Blanked telepaths in sensitive areas? Are the bugs themselves the telepaths, operating deep in NEG territory?
4. After going berserk in a battle with the EOD, an Engel has gone missing! Remote commands aren't shutting it down, and it is not broadcasting its usual identification signal. Special Services has just arrived, claiming that the Engel was simply sabotaged in order to hide someone's activities. Now they've locked down the base to search for traitors, but the scientists fear that the EOD was able to convince the beast within the machine to switch sides.
5. Marginalized youths think they have found a way to make the pain and doubt go away: become glamorously undead! They have a modified Beckon Shade Corpus ritual, and they don't realize that it is not changing them into vampires. The spell kills the subject and lets an alien intelligence inhabit the body. Unlike the normal ritual, the possessing force can use the host body's memories and easily pass for the dead person. More and more teenagers are accepting the "embrace," unwittingly becoming tools for Outsiders.
6. A band of Tagers observes one of the new NEG Nephilim and feel a strange affinity for it, somewhat like the mind link that shifted Tagers all share. Some Eldritch Society scholars suggest that the Nephilim might be related to the Ta'ge symbionts. Is this a true heresy that must be punished, lest the symbionts reject all future hosts?
7. The local office for the FSB has recently recruited a Zoner with precognition (feel free to use more than one precog, especially if you liked Minority Report). So far, the precog has been very accurate and helpful. What happens when seemingly innocent people get identified as cultists and criminals? Are the visions becoming self-fulfilling prophecies?
8. The Death Shadows start going after the body modification community HARD. Most body modders are just trying to express themselves, but the cultists want to tempt them with changes and techniques (magical and otherwise) that will violently distance them from normal humanity (physically and psychologically). No mere tongue piercings, we offer soul piercings!
9. Tagers are still human, and they do human things: eat, play, cry, etc. Well, some of them are really relishing the power and sensations of their shifted forms as something preferably to being human, and they're hiding this from their comrades and psychologists. How different will they be when they spend every moment possible shifted? What if they still feel romance . . . can shifted Tagers breed? Maybe not, but what about other people fearing that?
10. One word: Cthonians. Two more (?) words: Shud M'ell. (Just Wikipedia them if you're not familiar) You thought the b/dholes were bad? These might be smaller, but they're smart and telepathic. Maybe they're on their way here, or they just woke up. Perhaps the PC's need to stop them from being summoned/woken up. They work for a straight up fight, or as something new and scary to research and try to defend against. Maybe the Rapine Storm is learning how to summon or control them, but the PC's can find or learn an artifact or ritual to buy some time.
11. We all know that Deep Ones and their Hybrid children are intrinsically evil, right? How does the NEG react when Hybrids come to them for asylum, hoping to resist the change? Are they just trying to trick us?
12. A Migou spy gets caught in the crossfire when the Dohanoids and Tagers are rumbling. Now, a whole team of Migou specialists and soldiers have arrived to catch these fascinating Tagers and experiment on them. The Chrysalis Corporation would like to sweep all this dangerous evidence away, so the situation becomes a brutal three-way infantry brawl. How long before the NEG comes in to "pacify" the area?
13. The Migou manage to capture a Tager (perhaps from the above idea), and the PC's have to get their friend back! Again, NEG attention has to be avoided, and the Chrysalis Corporation may try to interfere. What if the PC's don't stop the Migou before the bugs get away? Will they try to break in to a Migou science facility before it is too late?
14. These rogue Engel reports just keep coming, but they don't match any normal descriptions. That's because these aren't NEG Engels, but failed Migou experiments set loose to cause trouble. They're big and squishy, but armored and heavily armed.
15. A magical prodigy with a gambling habit has discovered or researched a new way to get tidbits of wisdom from Yog-Sothoth. After completing the ritual, he gains temporary precognition that only sees about five seconds ahead. The ability lasts for hours, though, which is more than enough to clean up in a game of chance. The casino owners hate him, but they can't prove he's cheating. He may get a great deal of unwanted attention from the Arcane Underground.
16. Troubles abound at the theater when the owners hand out a new play. A decadent court and a masked visitor . . . the writer claims it came to him in a dream, but perhaps he based it in part on "The King in Yellow?" If the show goes on, it will certainly be much more dangerous than doing "Macbeth."
17: Has anyone paused to wonder why the *$%+ is hitting the fan all at once? Well, a cult recently descovered the reason: for the first time in the history of the universe a new god is about to try to come into existance. A god completely for good. The race is on to find its first avatar, because if he/she dies the ensouling of the new god will fail. You don't want to know what comes next...
18. The Chrysalis Corp has recently become a beehive of activity, an ant-hill kicked over showing little regard for its usual subtly as it tries to run down a pair of zoners who have come up on the radar. Why are these two so important, and why are they fighting the EOD tooth and nail to get them?
19. The favorite sergeant of an Engel squad was killed by friendly fire, and his/her remaining pilots snapped when the NEG tried to cover it up. They're out for blood, but do they even care who it comes from?
20. A bit of perfectly normal corporate espionage turns deadly when one of the Chrysalis Corporation's competitors learns more than they wanted.
21. Human beings are special. They can evolve and adapt endlessly, they can merge with almost all living being. This is why the Mi-go are studying us from millennia; they want to get what make us special and extend their own (dying) race existence.
22. In the middle of the mi-go regions lie an ancient artefact (of an unknown alien race). The artefact is probably a device to contact those aliens. Are they allies or enemies of human kind?
23. Stars are the juncture points between universes (dimensionally speaking). They create an extremely complex and powerful pattern. It’s so incredible it could be like a neural web of an intelligent being.
Might it be the true form of Azhatoh? If true, every time a ritual is cast, a sorcerer would directly access to the power of this entity it self!
24. White nazzadi are in truth imbued of power from some alien entity. They are here for a reason. Does they know it? Are their minds human? Are they the great race of Yith?
25. What if beyond our dimension would exist other worlds similar to ours. Worlds where people struggles against the mitos or places where they don’t even suspect they exists. May be some of the supporting cast comes from an alternative world. How did they come here? What does they want to do?
26. Mi-go are not an alien race. they are instruments of something else that dwells on Pluto
27. Mid-2086 an object fell from the sky. The NEG sent sent a large contingent of troops into the former country of India, dangerously close to the Rapine Storm's lines, to recover the object and bring it back to Chicago. What is that object, the Chrysalis Corporation would like to know...
28. Mid to Late 2086 a huge section of land in Central Africa is sealed off from all public access. Shortly thereafter the area is hidden behind some kind of field that blurs normal and arcane vision to the point nothing of use can be made out. Troops patrol the area now as well. The EOD have taken a keen interest in this plot of land...
29. People in the Arcane Underground are disappearing at an alarming rate, even for a culture based on lies, deception, and shadows. Most of those vanishing specialize in Wards, Scrying, and Summoning, including several of the character’s associates. What's going on?
30. Tagers are not invincible. One gets captured by the NEG, caught off guard during a mission, and dragged off somewhere. The Eldritch Society has tracked him as far as what was once Italy where the NEG are holding him in a lab just full, a secret lab full of Arcane monsters. The Society wants him back or dead, and as much evidence expunged of the Tager's existence as possible, no matter the possible cost to Humanity.
31. Ashcroft has recently received a larger than normal influx of patents. The only person to notice is a paper pusher in HQ that tracks all intakes across the Foundation. Seems something is afoot and people are getting shipped around to spread out the impact of something big going down. But who, and why?
32. The NEG has gotten an almost literal message in a bottle from Mars. People are still alive up there and fending off the Migou, but the situation, at the time the message was sent adrift in space, was dire. The NEG has kept this under wraps...until now. A copy of the file was made and is now missing. The GIA is going nuts trying to recover the information before it leaks. After all, if the public gets its hopes too high up, bad things can only come of it...right?
33. There is a general scramble for the Military. Units are being told to pack up and ship off to a secret location. When they arrive at the destination they are presented with a 3-mile-long strip of A-Pods that vaguely look like a ramp: An Orbital Catapult. They are to be a part of the crew of the NES Nevada, a last ditch attempt to break the Migou blockade of Earth and try and re-establish contact with the outer colonies before Operation Final Strike. If they break the blockade, what will they find out in the black?
34. (I know nanomachine should not be on the top of the story, but...) Real nanomachines where not developed from nothing, but from an alien choral like silicon based life form. Someone is working to make them more compatible with human beings (or, are those "cyborg" just ready?). Will this be an alternative to the Tager symbiont or will this just be a horrible and uncontrollable mistake?
35. NEG organizes a preemptive strike into China sending the NES Chicago along with smaller craft for the first strike, will the attack succeed? Or will this new attack into the contested area backfire onto NEG?
36. Black Spire knows about the Shadow War secretly and recruits several Tagers within itself. However, the rest of the GIA and NEG does not know because of how entrenched Chrysalis is. First mission is to sabotage a key Chrysalis factory to make it look as if Chrysalis did it just to gain on insurance money, thus starting an investigation that may go somewhere, or the second mission of assassinating a Dhonanoid Senator that is Chrysalis go to guy in the NEG.
37. A pyramid has been found in central England, however its made of a bizarre metal and its discovery is classified. The NEG want to take it and examine it, Nazzadi Loyalists with Migou help are trying to capture pr destroy it, while the Eldritch society is trying to discover why the locals are more prone to deviant behavior. And what’s with the weird plants all over and people disappearing?
38. A massive martial arts tournament is being held in a remote part of the world(off the coast of the Philippines that hasn't been taken over by the EOD or by the Rapine Storm) and the Special Services understand that there is a large amount of cultists there (however they are incognito), not only that Chrysalis Corp and a majority of its subsidiaries are involved with financing and holding the tournament. Tagers anyone? What is the goal of this massive tournament that is drawing massive crowds from all over the world? Why here? They had to build an airstrip for this location. And what's with the ruins that are strewn about?
39. A dashing young Engel pilot has one of the highest rates of Engel berserker incidents ever recorded. Is there something about him that makes the Engels try and rebel? Or has he found a way of deliberately inducing the berserker state?
40. A ghoul (or more than one, because really, who can tell?) has been trying to approach journalists and asking for a chance to plead the case for recognition of his kind by the NEG. The Ministry of Information is doing what it can to make sure the story doesn't go public, and they're leaning on the police to try and track down the ghoul(s) responsible. Meanwhile, some of the journalists who were approached have disappeared mysteriously.
41. The EOD has recently engineered a retro-virus that could make the people it infects "more divine". Of course, they have to test it somewhere before using it on a larger scale. A remote community that is about to be wiped out by the Rapine Storm (thus cleaning the mess) would be perfect, if a NEG team wasn't about to be sent there to help evacuate the civilians. As it is, the NEG guys have a (small) chance of finding out why those people are turning into violent abominations before the Storm is unto them. As if things weren't bad enough, there's also an couple of EOD disguised as SS operatives monitoring the operation.
42. Engels are made from DNA of mysterious creatures... Developers needs something to work on! Who the hell brings them what their need? Good for a monster hunting adventure or for a corruption and espionage campaign (I hope).
43. A very young and promising Japanese Idol is lately stalked from strange people and tormented from worshippers of the Church of All. The latest says she should join them as soon as possible for her own good. Characters are called to protect and avoid her kidnapping, but the truth is that she (doesn't knows) is a Deep ones Hybrid and soon will hear the call of the sea!
44. One of the Engel pilots is surprised to find out that she is pregnant, especially since she's a virgin. The kicker is when they perform a paternity test, her Engel is the father!
44.2 One of the Engel is surprised to find out that she is pregnant, especially since it should be infertile. The kicker is when they perform a paternity test, her pilot is the father!
45. There is a mysterious series of normal people transforming in to Zoner. The strange fact is that this happen in places very far away from the zone itself... Are new Zones starting to manifest all around the globe? Or is it possible that someone has found a way to control the energy of the zone? If that's so who is it? what is it trying to do? and how?
46. Inside an asylum is secured a mysterious old man. He appeared out of nothing and since he was clearly out of mind the NEG social system hospitalize him for cures. The interesting part is that he keeps a diary from which one can understand the old man believes he is a Nazi of the WW2; that by night migou come to have sex with him and that there are miraculous healing stones in the Italian Alps. Plus, he has a series of manias and "rituals" to respect. But someone noticed weird coincidences... For example, when the "rituals" are not made, it is possible to find, the next morning, object out of places or errors in the security recordings....
47. After the advent of the arcanotech, Arkham become a main Academic city for all whom study magic and para-psychic powers. Here a researcher staff is trying to make a level 6 Gravito-chinesis para-psychic. They valuated that practical training would be the best solution to stimulate the power growth. so put an underworld bounty on him. This all will certainly shake a bit the town and might include para-psychic clonation.
48. In Osaka, a new parapsychic has erupted, and has the ability to control and manipulate machinery (ie: mental hacking, controlling machinery remotely). The EOD has taken interest in this young girl and try to capture her while an OIS agent that was supposed to capture her for forced registration has taken her side and is protecting her, while his partner has succumbed to the babblings of the Ruined King.
49. A small Migou ship has crashed in the Great Sandy Desert (Western Australia, fairly close to the Rapine Storm's foothold). Recon suggests it was either investigating something as yet unknown or else attempting to covertly insert troops into the region, but every last damn dirty bug seems to be dead. However, the NEG's recon team has also stopped reporting back. The players' Engel/Mecha/Tager team is thus assigned to investigate.
50. A Nephilim (or more than one) has gone berserk and escaped. No big deal, just send the lock codes, find it and bring it back. Well, as is to be expected, the codes don't seem to work and they've lost track of the thing in the sewers (or other claustrophobic area). A Nephilim is far too dangerous and valuable to leave behind, so somebody has to go in a get it.
50.1. For bonus points, perhaps the technicians can't locate it exactly, but they are still getting status updates from its systems. The thing's hormones are going crazy, and there is a very real concern that it might be able to reproduce asexually if it has the time.
51. Migou have recently overrun an NEG outpost in the northern areas, unknown to the bugs the base had been quietly built on top of a secret underground facility where an ancient specimen was flash frozen in suspended animation in the permafrost eons ago. It won't take the Migou long to find the secret facility so the NEG is deploying an elite tactical insertion team, the players, to infiltrate the base and recover or destroy the specimen before the bugs get to it.
52. The NEG maintains secret contacts with a few Eldritch Society supporters. Spies if you will. All of a sudden the contacts are disappearing and the remaining ones don't know what's going on. The NEG aligned players must do everything in their power to protect the few remaining contacts. Has the Eldritch Society finally found a way to weed out snitches or is something more sinister going on?
53. In the last three months the Rapine Storm has pushed out to the coast Black Sea, filling what was once Georgia, but order holds to the north where the Migo continue to press against the remains of the Ukraine and to the south where the NEG has kept Turkey and the southern edge of the Sea clear of Storm activity.
Off shore oil hasn't been a required resource for some time, leaving many formerly vital derricks unmanned or converted to alternative uses. One such convert, a weather monitoring station retrofitted a second time to serve as a 'rest stop' for scout ships, was recently forced to abandon their post due to the sudden and unexpected failure of several the derrick's support struts, leaving the derrick intact but unbalanced.
Suspecting an unheard of incursion by the EOD in what was considered a 'sealed' body of water, the characters are sent to investigate. But when their transport (Werewolf or Griffion, depending on group composition) touches down in Istanbul for their pre-mission briefing, a group of strange people instantly board, flash Special Services orders, and order the pilot to take off.
This scenario has two possible directions from this point:
A) The Rapine Storm is using Dholes to tunnel from the coast of northern Georgia south-west under the Black Sea, planning to break loose in northern Turkey, behind NEG lines. In this case, the players discover that the old oil lines actually lead into the tunnel system that the Storm is creating.
B) The EOD has successfully opened a mystical gateway connecting one of their Atlantic bases with the Black Sea.
54. A group of tagers is sent in to investigate a clinic in the NYC area and find out said clinic is a front for Chrysalis Corp's attempt to create parapsychics that yield a certain power. It's heavily guarded and not only that one of the tagers' sister is a test subject within the clinic.
55. An object crashes to Earth of unknown origin (GM can decide what exactly it is), but appears to be metallic and gives off large amounts of orgone. It lands directly in Newfoundland So a join NEG military and Blackspire operation is dispatched to recover the object while Migou and EOD forces scramble to claim it. However it causes bizarre distortions in fields of magic causes D-Engines and d-batteries to behave erratically, Engels go berserk around the object plus Deep Ones and hybrids mutate horrendously around it. The Migou look like they may have it in their grasp, but it also causes cancerous tumor-like formations to grow rapidly on their bio mecha.
56. Two wealthy industrialists have been assassinated and they both work for the same company. A shell company for the Chrysalis Corporation. Now the investigators must figure out who the next target is and stop the assassination before it happens.
- the assassins are two Migou Blanks who are killing key members of the CC
- The next target is a politician
- The CC has been funneling money to politicians to gain more of a foothold in the NEG
57. A man is killed in a random shooting and while it is in the morgue something comes out of it and attacks one of the doctors. They manage to kill it but now the investigators must figure out what the thing is and who sent it. The thing is actually an otherworldly creature that is controlling peoples minds. Introduced as a larve to the human host. Now the investigators must determine whose nefarious plan this and and exactly what the plan is and if there are more and how to stop or identify them.
58. The children of Chaos have developed a new drug and are using its addictive properties to gain a foothold in the underworld of the Archology. Now the investigators must infiltrate the organization and bust the drug ring.
59. One of the investigators is contacted by a Confidential Informer that knows someone who knows someone who has acquired a statue that they would be interested in having. The man wont come in till he has assurances that he will be safe. Now the investigators must bust the cult and find the statue before the cult finds the witness and recover the statuette.
- the statue is actually a dark creatures egg
- the cult uses beyonders to try to track down a and recover the egg
60. A former member of a deep infiltration commando unit just went berserk and did a disgruntled postal worker on his new unit. Once he broke down they were able to capture him alive and during the routine brainscans associated with the investigation into the incident they found anomalies. Compared to his pre-deployment brainscans there are substantial differences. Now the investigators must uncover what has happened, who his other teammates were and if they are the same. Exactly what “it” is and who did it.
-the commando unit is secret and doesn’t officially exist
-the military does not want to cooperate with the investigation
-the units commander/Lt. Had a lucrative black market scheme going on, doesn’t want to help because they would all be arrested
-The NEG has been trying to reverse engineer the Migou Blank process and these soldiers are the first unsuccessful test in making NEG brainwashing.
61. A man who has been working on the next generation Angels for the NEG has made an offhand comment about that his wife “Has been acting strangely” to a co-worker. That co-worker has reported it and now the investigators must determine if there is something more to the situation.
-His wife has been replaced by her twin sister who is working for the EOD trying to get information on the Angels
-His wife has been kidnapped and the EOD will turn her over if he gives them the information and next gen Angel plans
-the sister is also attempting to do something nefarious while inside the archology to delay and distract the investigators
62. A professor who is heavily involved in parapsychic research, working alongside the Ashcroft Foundation is found murdered in his house/ lab. His adopted daughter is missing and all evidence points to her being the intended target. Now the group must track down the daughter before the killers find her.
-the girl is a latent pre-cog whose powers are just emerging
-she is able to instinctively. By chance avoid all cameras and tech means of tracking in the Arco
-she has had a vision that going to the authorities will result in “something bad” and will run and hide at the first sign of cops/ agents etc.
-Turning her over to their superiors will result in her being snatched up by the Chrysalis Corporation
-the CC has dispatched one of more Dohanoids to capture her.