Kenshiro

Site Admin

Lead

Dec 1 07 4:46 PM

Tags : :

Alright, here is just an informal poll to see what the majority of people would like to see in a CthulhuTech demo, if it was made available to demo teams (and maybe as a web download). My fiancée and I had a talk about this, and we have a good idea of what to do, but we'd also like input from everyone else as well. Here goes...

CTech demo stuff:

1) Quick and simple explanation of the general rules, such as task resolution, combat, character attributes, and character types.
2) General explanation of the setting.
3) Adventures or scenarios that are easy to jump into, i.e. "You're a pack of Tagers on a mission to stop a faction of Tager extremists."
4) A number of ready-made characters, but also guidelines to change their attributes.
5) Previews of things that might show up in later CTech books and supplements.

That's what we have so far, and we'd love to hear more. Thanks.
Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Dec 1 07 4:51 PM

My first session I ran 'Boot Camp' for some NEG grunts (the PC's)

I ran them through a series of tests that slowly showed the variable complexity / Ease of the Framework system.

I like these Ideas a lot though

Quote    Reply   

Kenshiro

#2 [url]

Dec 1 07 4:56 PM

Giantcavecrab wrote:
My first session I ran 'Boot Camp' for some NEG grunts (the PC's)

I ran them through a series of tests that slowly showed the variable complexity / Ease of the Framework system.

I like these Ideas a lot though

That's a good idea, especially for newcomers. I'd love to hear more, but that's for another thread. And thanks.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 1 07 7:25 PM

To me a demo has to do a few things for me.

(no particular order)

1. I've gotta understand the mechanics, at least the basics. It's gotta make sense.

2. Hook me into the setting. What makes this world jump out and become a living thing?

There are others, but I'm short on time. I'll try to write mor tonight before I head to San Diego.

Hydrogen H
Stupidity Su

= The two most common elements in the Universe.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 1 07 7:34 PM

I'd want to see a little of everything in a demo.

I know that's not nearly as easy as it sounds, seeing as how the group and organizational relationships have developed in the setting. So I was wondering how you might pull it off. I have an idea, but I don't know how well it would work. Essentially, you'd run a demo session like the "intro" "previously on" sequence at the beginning of a tv show with a non-episodic plot line. Quick snippets of the big players (PC's, obviously) and how what they have recently done is going to impact the upcoming story. So, you could lay some nifty plot hints for each character, while doing a short snippet of their piece of the action.

So, you might have:

-A piece of an Engel vs. Beast battle, which is explained to be the end result of a troop push in some Migou controlled territory.

-A Police Detective in deep cover going to try and finnagle some specifics out of a street level contact, who happens to be a practitioner of magic. This is part of a long-term operation leading up to a sting on a high-level cult which has entangled itself in an arcologies social/political structure.

Short, simple scenarios for introducing all the major aspects of the game. Done in the past tense, and explained that this is the "intro sequence" if Cthulhutech were a TV show. The game might go down any of these lines, depending on what you want to do with it. I'd limit it to 3, possibly 4 of these scenarios. Again, I don't know how well it would work, but it seemed like a possibly entertaining way to hit the big points.

Zoe: Preacher, ain't the bible got some pretty specific things to say about killin'?

Book: Quite specific. It is, however, slightly fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 1 07 11:56 PM

Id like to see a short scenario with some ready made PC's and just enough of the rules so it can be run, plus a vauge overview of the background to wet the appetite.
The Demo pack for Dark Heresy is an excellent example of what I think a Demo / taster should be like, its here if you havent seen it http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=40k ( sorry if I shouldn't be posting links ? please delete if needs be )

Quote    Reply   

Skywalker

Whisperer in the Darkness

#6 [url]

Dec 2 07 6:55 PM

Things that I prefer in demos:

1. Self-contained i.e. can be picked up and played as is including a rules summary and pregenerated PCs.
2. Though it should highlight the rules it shouldn't do so at the expense of a good scenario. Ultimately a fun scenario will leave a more lasting impression than good rules without context).
3. The pregens should be no more than 2 pages and preferably 1 page. They should be lavish with a nice illustrations. The character sheet is the biggest selling point for a demo and the game as it it the one thing the players will pour over.
4. As there is so much to cover, the demo should include the biggest selling unique aspects of CTech in terms of setting and rules. This is where I thought the 40KRP demo failed as the scenario felt let many others with a different dressing. The process of identifying the one or two elements of setting and rules that make CTech shine the most is probably the hardest thing in writing demos. Perhaps a survey of the current fan base may help define these.

Quote    Reply   

Kenshiro

#7 [url]

Dec 2 07 7:06 PM

Thank you for the input, guys. These are really helpful.

Skywalker wrote:
Things that I prefer in demos:

1. Self-contained i.e. can be picked up and played as is including a rules summary and pregenerated PCs.
2. Though it should highlight the rules it shouldn't do so at the expense of a good scenario. Ultimately a fun scenario will leave a more lasting impression than good rules without context).
3. The pregens should be no more than 2 pages and preferably 1 page. They should be lavish with a nice illustrations. The character sheet is the biggest selling point for a demo and the game as it it the one thing the players will pour over.
4. As there is so much to cover, the demo should include the biggest selling unique aspects of CTech in terms of setting and rules. This is where I thought the 40KRP demo failed as the scenario felt let many others with a different dressing. The process of identifying the one or two elements of setting and rules that make CTech shine the most is probably the hardest thing in writing demos. Perhaps a survey of the current fan base may help define these.

The survey idea is a good one. I'll see what I come up with, thanks.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help