Colin Chapman

Eldritch Society Champion

Lead

Nov 10 08 12:42 PM

Tags : :

Hey,

Although the Voynich Manuscript was introduced into Cthulhuiana by Colin Wilson, I'm sure most of us know it's actually a real, historical text that has still resisted all efforts to translate it. While never mentioned by HPL, the Manuscript can still prove useful as inspiration for other strange tomes, full as it is of unintelligible text and esoteric images.

A full-colour scan of the Voynich Manuscript (currently held in Yale University) can be downloaded here:

http://awesta.sibirjak.ru/files/Voynich.pdf

Be warned, it's nearly 54 megs in size.

Here are some examples of interior pages if you're curious:

Quote    Reply   

Miss Dee

Whisperer in the Darkness

#1 [url]

Nov 10 08 12:52 PM

will my laptop become posessed?

We refuse to take sides in this anymore. And we refuse to let you turn us against one another. We know who we are now, we can find our own way between order and chaos.

Quote    Reply   

TekHed

#2 [url]

Nov 10 08 1:34 PM

Really? NEVER translated????

That implies it is a hoax right? I mean surely SOMEBODY must have been able to find a code or cipher or some kind of order? Or perhaps the person was a tripper and its all doodles or purposely designed to make people think it actually says something?

Pardon my ignorance...I've actually never heard of it before? Where and when was it discovered?

Quote    Reply   

Blupe

Elder Tager

#4 [url]

Nov 10 08 6:50 PM

If I recall correctly, the common belief these days is it was probably created by an acquaintance of John Dee's as a way to make money off by selling it to the ruler of Persia. As such, it is almost certainly gibberish, but looks really neat.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 11 08 10:50 AM

If I recall correctly, the common belief these days is it was probably created by an acquaintance of John Dee's as a way to make money off by selling it to the ruler of Persia. As such, it is almost certainly gibberish, but looks really neat.

Actually doing abit of digging and the view is very spilt those who feel its a cipher of some kind have shown mathmaticly that its not gibberish. But it can be argued its possible (but would require masses of work esp. without calculaters ) to make something that would work (but there is no proof that the required knowledge existed at that point that it is belived to have been made.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help