Lead

Sep 20 07 10:33 PM

Tags : :

So, for my Zone patrol game, I had this idea for throwing an obstacle or two in the players path.

Since the appearance of the Zone, hundreds of people have convinced themselves that it is some sort of conduit to God, Allah, Nirvana (not the band) etc. In defiance of NEG laws, they travel to the Zone on pilgrimages, seeking spiritual enlightenment. Several of the more charismatic of the pilgrims have built cults around themselves, and a few have attempted to set up small communities. All of these cultists have one thing in common - they're nuts.

Rather than fight the creatures of un-namable horror, they fall to their knees in supplication. Since most of the creatures that emerge from the Zone are little more than mindless eating machines, cultists usually end up being a light snack. Occasionally though, a more intelligent creature emerges, and sees the advantage of "playing God". The more organized cults remain in their master's good graces, by offering up sacrifices. These sacrifices are often kidnapped victims, but a cult member will do in a pinch.

The official NEG policy is to treat anyone found near the Zone as a victim, until they act otherwise. This makes for VERY tense encounters with any civilian near the Zone.

Basically, I'm modeling them after the followers of Thulsa Doom in the Conan movie.

So, what I'm looking for is the name given to all these cults by the military, not a particular group. I was thinking that there should be two different classifications; one for the really organized cults (that may be harboring a creature), and one for the random loonies that wander into the desert.

Hooks:
-Rescue the kidnapped victim before they are sacrificed (Imagine the players surprise when the "victim" they think they're saving opens up on them with an assault rifle for attacking his god).
-Rescue the CEO's daughter who has fallen for the cult leader. (yeah, also from Conan)
-Clear out a known hostile cult that has fortified an abandoned silver mine in the hills of southern NV.

Thanks,

Mark
Quote    Reply   

Kenshiro

Eldritch Society Champion

#1 [url]

Sep 20 07 10:57 PM

Well, the name could be used a front for the cult, if they're smart. It might be something like "Zone Exploration Organization," or "Society for the Nevada Zone Research."

If they're really crazy, then use more religious-sounding names, like "Order of the Vegas Advent," or "Enlightened Children of the Zone."

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 20 07 11:22 PM

ShadowFox wrote:
Oh, you mean name a cult for C-tech. I thought you wanted a name for your real-life cult, which explores the esoteric mysteries of the burrito. My bad.

No, my real life cult is the 1st United Fane of Cthulhu. Our motto: "Die Sane! Get eaten first."

Mark

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 20 07 11:27 PM

Kenshiro wrote:
Well, the name could be used a front for the cult, if they're smart. It might be something like "Zone Exploration Organization," or "Society for the Nevada Zone Research."

If they're really crazy, then use more religious-sounding names, like "Order of the Vegas Advent," or "Enlightened Children of the Zone."

Definitely the latter two for what they call themselves. Love the Order of the Vegas Advent! But, I'm also looking for a nickname given to the whole crazy bunch by the NEG military who've encountered them. Some names I've already discarded are; Zonites, Zoneheads, Zone Monkeys - there were a few others as well.

Mark

Quote    Reply   

Kenshiro

#5 [url]

Sep 20 07 11:56 PM

Prim0gen wrote:

Definitely the latter two for what they call themselves. Love the Order of the Vegas Advent! But, I'm also looking for a nickname given to the whole crazy bunch by the NEG military who've encountered them. Some names I've already discarded are; Zonites, Zoneheads, Zone Monkeys - there were a few others as well.

Mark

Well, "Zoners" is already taken, since those are the para-psychics who got their powers by being exposed to the Zone's..."radiation." But I guess you could use it as a catch-all term for anyone who goes there and worships that tear in reality.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 21 07 6:35 AM

Note sure about what the cults call themselves but:

ZZs, Z2, or Double Zs, for Zone Zombies
Quislings or Qs to reflect they are "joining the enemy"

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 21 07 4:27 PM

Jack wrote:
Note sure about what the cults call themselves but:

ZZs, Z2, or Double Zs, for Zone Zombies
Quislings or Qs to reflect they are "joining the enemy"

Oooh, I likey!
I'm going with:

ZZeds - The generic loonies. Bottom of the food chain, hence the last letter in the alphabet.
ZZits - The organized cults. Named so, because you have to squeeze them out, and it's generally messy.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mark

Quote    Reply   

eldritchcat

#8 [url]

Nov 11 07 1:57 AM

If they believe God is in there, they probably have a name like:

Followers of the Divine Light
Keepers of the Sacred Path

Or something like that. Just a couple off the top of my head.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 5 08 11:26 PM

Prim0gen wrote:
But, I'm also looking for a nickname given to the whole crazy bunch by the NEG military who've encountered them. Some names I've already discarded are; Zonites, Zoneheads, Zone Monkeys - there were a few others as well.
Mark

Cult of the Sandcrab

or

Crabbies

Named after the crab-thing that came out of the zone at them

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help